Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Blast 34 :: Oh Martha...

How you do make things seem so simple...

One fantastic day at Fort Popham...












...and later Popham Beach (where I left my camera in the car til we left in the evening)...




...led to one long drive home and not a stitch of thread or a dot of glue to show for the day. I needed a quick fix. Something that could be done in just a minute. Luckily, I had stopped at the library before our outing and picked up some great finds...one of them being this little (well, huge actually) gem. And in there? Ric- Rac flowers. The cutest little things and lauded as a quick craft. So quick you'll want to make dozens. Well, friends, 2 hours later I was still trying to craft just one little flower out of ric-rac. Now, maybe its me...Martha does have some gorgeous photos that make you want to get started lickity split...but, details on the how-tos? Eh...maybe a little wanting. But, like I said, this could just be me...I think I need to see it done more than read it done (a visual learner by far...).

I admit, I do tend to require a good thorough reading of the task at hand. And not just once either, but at least a few times. Then some trial and error. Usually, by the end of it all, I have happened upon my own way of creating something that I am sure wasn't how the author intended at all but, nonetheless, sure does work for me.
While I never did figure out how to do Martha's flowers the way they looked in the book, I did find this ...


 to be helpful and also had a little fun with this...


Wouldn't it make a super cute cap for a flower fairy?


So I will try...and try again and gosh darn it - try some more and in the meantime, have some fun with what comes out of all of that trying.


2 comments:

momto5 said...

oh i miss the beach so much. i really loved kettle cove. popham was nice, such a big beach.
you have such an eye with the camera.
i wanna see the gnome/fairy all finished. :)

Kelly said...

i love kettle cove too - haven't been there in years though! i'll get to that fairy soon - she's on the list!